Listen to this episode by clicking the Play Button above.
It’s a Sci-Fi Story night, as we discuss some very interesting things in the world of science fiction and fantasy, including some new news relating to Star Trek, and a VERY interesting theory regarding Star Wars.
We wanted to have fun with this one. Come on in and join us, as well!
We also discuss current events, as well.
Come on in and join us! You won’t want to miss this one!
Android App: http://amzn.to/1HSx8hE
ALL of these places have the live stream playing 24/7. Come on in and join us!
You can ALSO subscribe to the podcast on iTunes: http://apple.co/1JUbzOo
ECIGARETTE GRANDFATHER LAW IMPLEMENTATION
Though the outfit 12-year-old Dustin Cole wore to school wasn’t too revealing or too formfitting, and didn’t allegedly promote violence or controversy, school officials still cracked down on it — declaring the seventh-grader’s American-flag-themed Kohl’s T-shirt “gang related” and issuing him a dress code violation.
“He said he was ‘dress-coded’ at school because the stars were gang related,” Cole’s mother, Lori Carpenter, told Fox 40 about the principal’s Oct. 20 reprimand of her son at Yuba Gardens Intermediate School in Olivehurst, Calif. The principal requested that the honor student turn his T inside out for the remainder of the day. “I mean, they are trying to keep everybody safe. I understand,” Carpenter said, “but it feels like it is a little too far. Especially when it is a patriotic shirt.”
Carpenter didn’t respond to Yahoo Parenting’s request for comment, but in another interview, she told the Appeal-Democrat that she was irked because her son — who, the mom maintains, does not belong to a gang — is “a star student but he can’t wear a star.”
The star on Cole’s shirt, though, is one of the symbols that school officials have banned at school. As the Yuba Gardens Intermediate School’s code of conduct reads, “Due to the highly changeable nature of gang-associated clothing, the administration reserves the right to declare any clothing, accessory, colors of specific items of clothing, signs, and graffiti which has been identified as associated with gangs, as off-limits on the school premises.”
A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has blown a major hole in the case against e-cigarettes.
Many of the most vehement critics of e-cigarettes fear the devices could prove to be a gateway drug and will raise the risk of non-smoking vapers being lured into trying the real thing.
Critics also fear that we haven’t seen the long-term health effects of vaping and that regulators and lawmakers should take a stricter stance on taxing e-cigarettes and raising the age at which they can be bought.
But according to a CDC report released on Monday, public health activists have little reason to fear a rising tide of new smokers in wake of the vaping revolution. The report is the first of its kind with the first estimates of e-cigarette use among U.S. adults from a nationally representative household survey.
The CDC study shows that just 0.4 percent of people who had never smoked tobacco were current vapers, using the device either every day or some days. Among the adults who had never smoked cigarettes a meagre 3.4 percent had ever tried and e-cigarette. In total, 12.6 percent of Americans have tried an e-cigarette.
Supporters of e-cigarettes received some good news with the figures showing that 47.6 percent of current smokers had tried vaping and 55.4 percent of smokers who had quit had used e-cigarettes.
A little over 20 percent of current smokers who had tried to give up in the last year were using e-cigarettes, according to the CDC. Just under four percent Americans are classified as regular e-cigarette users.
The study follows data released by the CDC in April showing regular smoking continuing to fall among high school students while e-cigarette use was increasing, with 9.2 percent of students saying they smoked a cigarette in the last month – a fall of 3.5 percent from 2013. Over the same time period, students who reported using e-cigarettes jumped from 4.5 percent to 13.4 percent.
While there remains a significant degree of skepticism about e-cigarettes, not least from Senate Democrats who are urging tighter regulation, prominent anti-smoking groups have attempted to dispel the myths surrounding their use.
In August, Action on Smoking and Health released a study concluding there is no link between the surge in teens taking up e-cigarettes and then switching to regular cigarettes.
One of the top engineers working on NASA’s controversial EM Drive thruster at the Eagleworks Laboratory at the Johnson Space Center in Texas has spoken publicly about the current state of the project. This is the first direct update in months, as NASA is keeping a very tight lid on the developments.
The latest news regarding the EM Drive, which produces a thrust seemingly from nowhere, comes from Paul March, one of the principal investigators on the EM Drive, and was published on the NASA Spaceflight forum. The post is in reply to an unpublished paper that claims the unaccounted thrust is generated by the Lorentz force between the EM Drive and the Earth’s magnetic field, something that March says his tests prove is not true.
“I will tell you that we first built and installed a 2nd generation, closed face magnetic damper that reduced the stray magnetic fields in the vacuum chamber by at least an order of magnitude and any Lorentz force interactions it could produce,” commented March in the post on October 28. “And yet the anomalous thrust signals remain…” he added.
March also claims that in the latest developments, thermal expansion of the thruster is taken into account to reduce all possible sources of error. But the anomalous thrust is still being observed, indicating a yet unexplained cause for it.
Once the tests at the Eagleworks Laboratory are complete, they will be subjected to independent verification and validation at the Glenn Research Centre, at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, and at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
The EM Drive thruster is a hypothetical thruster that uses no fuel. It uses a magnetron, a high-powered vacuum tube where the interaction between a magnetic field and electrons generates microwaves. The magnetron sends the microwaves into a truncated cone, hitting the short end and, according to the proponents of this technology, generating thrust.
The EM Drive is controversial because it violates Newton’s conservation of momentum laws. The EM Drive doesn’t apply any known force on the smaller end of its cone, so the thruster should not move.
The supposed thrust is small, on the order of the micronewton (the weight of a mosquito on Earth), so unaccounted phenomena could be mimicking thrust. Such a small force might not seem useful for space travel, but it would be significant when scaled up in a spacecraft. If the EM Drive becomes a reality, some say it could be used to reach the edge of the Solar System in months not decades.
It’s the first time the terms have been updated in nearly a year, according to Business Insider, and users may be surprised how much ownership they’re turning over to Snapchat. Like, all of it, basically.
The terms say the app may share your information with third party providers, sellers, and partners, and are automatically granted “unrestricted, worldwide, and perpetual right and license to use your name, likeness, and voice, in any and all media and distribution channels (now known or later developed) in connection with any Live Story or other crowd-sourced content you create, upload, post, send, or appear in.”
Further, they can also screen and delete your content at any time for any reason. They brought you into this world; they can take you out of it.
If they do keep your content on file, know that they can exhibit it at any time, publicly or privately, in basically any media distribution model available now or that will ever exist.
At least they’re being open about it! Something to think about before you click “Accept.”
A dad in Florida is facing an online debate after he shared a photo of his 4-year-old daughter giving him a tattoo.
Brad Bellomo is 30-years-old and owns the Third Eye tattoo shop in Florida. Recently he posted a photo to Facebook showing his daughter Chloe drawing a strawberry on his arm with a needle inside his parlor. He shared the incident with his friends online:
“Today was her first real tattoo! A little wobbly but she did great and it’s still cute… Keep in mind she just turned 4 end of August!”
The picture has earned more than 100,000 likes in the past week, but it’s also caused a lot of negative backlash – as his photo keeps getting reported on the social media site. Some people praised the tattoo shop owner for teaching his child the skill, while others reported his post for ‘graphic violence.’
In the photo Chloe is seen wearing rubber gloves and looking very serious as she concentrates on drawing on her father’s arm.
Brad said that he’s ‘so proud’ of his daughter for completing her first real tattoo, using the hashtag ‘#daddydaughtertattoo’.
The family of a Los Angeles driver who was killed when he crashed his car and was ejected 20 feet in the air into a freeway sign had only days before performed an animal sacrifice they hoped would protect the 20-year-old from harm.
Richard Pananian died on Friday when he was tossed from his small Ford after crashing into another vehicle while driving at what California Highway Patrol called a high rate of speed. His body was found on an interstate sign above the wreckage.
According to his cousin, Pananian’s Christian Armenian family had taken the bizarre step of performing the traditional “matag” lamb sacrifice on Oct. 25, mere days before his shocking death.
Read: Driver is Killed When He is Ejected From His Car onto California Freeway Sign after Crash
The man who identifies himself as Pananian’s cousin, Armen Kardashian of Glendale, revealed on a GoFundMe page that the car-loving LA native had close calls before.
“In the Armenian culture sacrifices are done when someone escapes death, as Richards life was once sared [sic],” Kardashian wrote.
Pananian even used a seatbelt more commonly seen in race cars.
“I myself had sat in the car with Richard countless times, and he had a 5 point safety harness that he wore all the time! All the time!!” Kardashian wrote.
Kardashian said he started the fundraiser in order to offset any funeral costs for the family, as well as any potential “costs incurred through any damages, and any private or public service of their choosing.”
Read: Victims Identified in Fatal Oklahoma Parade Crash, 2-Year-Old Among Those Killed
Reeling as he is, Kardashian admits this tragedy has shaken his once-strong faith.
“If God works in mysterious ways his way remains a mystery to me and has crushed this family as a whole,” he wrote.