“Vital Veggies”Mushrooms- relief from high cholesterol levels, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and diabetes. It also helps in weight loss, and increases the strength of your immune system. contain fiber and protein, great for vegetarians.
Shiitake: Animal studies have shown that these flavorful and readily available mushrooms have anti-tumor, cholesterol-lowering, and antiviral properties
• Enoki: These slender, mild-flavored mushrooms appear to have significant anti-cancer and immune-enhancing effects
• Maitake: Also known as ‘hen of the woods,’ these mushrooms may have anti-cancer, antiviral, and immune-enhancing properties. They may also reduce blood pressure and blood sugar
• Oyster: Less expensive — and less flavorful — than shiitakes, these mushrooms may also provide some protection against cancer
• Mushrooms have their own immune system.
• Mushrooms are more closely related in DNA to humans than to plants.
• Like human skin, mushrooms can produce vitamin D by being exposed to sunlight. In fact, exposing a freshly cut shiitake mushroom, gills up, to the sun for eight hours can increase its vitamin D content by as much as 4,600 times!
Really Cool Recipes: Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
• 1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, cleaned with a damp cloth
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 6 ounces Feta cheese crumbles or can substitute ricotta
• Salt and pepper to taste
• can add prosciutto or cooked sausage or bacon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Start this recipe after you’ve thawed the spinach.
Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms, chop them finely, and set them aside. Place all the mushrooms cap side down in a baking dish.
Next warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushroom stems and garlic and cook until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
During the last few minutes of cooking the stems, add the thawed spinach and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Make sure to mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly. It shouldn’t be steaming hot as you mix in the Feta. Add the cheese and toss well.
Stuff each mushroom cap with about a tablespoon of the mixture. If you have any left over, go back and add more to each cap. You’d be amazed how much stuffing you can cram in there!
Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes, until the mushrooms have darkened and softened.
Remove from the oven and let them cool. One of the best spinach stuffed mushroom recipes!
“Way Cool Affirmations”/Scripture: “I easily find solutions to challenges and roadblocks and move past them quickly.”
• Philippians 4:6,7 … ESV (English Standard Version)-do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Memorable (You gotta watch this!) Movies:
• Click-Adam Sandler
• Click is about a man who receives a magical remote controller that allows him to flash back, stop and fast forward through time. He uses it to skip past moments in life that he finds mundane/boring (e.g. family dinner, shower, time taken to get to the next promotion, when he’s sick). Initially it seems fun, but after a while he found it comes with unexpected consequences, which you have to watch to find out. Forget the demeanor of the trailer/marketing that comes across as your typical Hollywood, slapstick comedy. This really isn’t. At first it may seem like that, but halfway through you realize there’s something deeper that the story is driving. It gets you to think about life’s moments and how every moment is no less important than another. IMO, it drives home the message that “every moment is a moment to be lived.